Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18th: Technology

Like most people, when I think of technology I tend to limit it to things like electronic devices. However, technology surrounds us. It is paper; the pencil or pen used to make a drawing and the hoe we use in the garden. Technology surrounds us. If you want to be a technophobe, then I guess that means that you must be willing to give up just about everything in your life. Clothing, soap, toothpaste, shampoo, and paper towels are technology.

Technology can be defined as the specific methods, materials, and devices used to solve practical problems1. Using this definition, one can clearly understand that we are surrounded by technology. In the teddy bear world, we are no different. Needles, sewing machines, thread, glass eyes, felt, mohair, dye, airbrushes, and paints are all pieces of technology that we use to create our art. In fact, the list of technology is nearly endless.

Many bear artists are not opposed to using technology, meaning electronic devices. Nearly every bear artist I know owns a computer, uses e-mail, posts on www.teddy-talk.com, uses www.facebook.com, or any number of other web sites. A number of artists have fan pages on facebook. I have a fan page that I try to update daily. Even this blog is technology I use to communicate my ideas to you my reader.

I use a computer to keep track of my paper work and an office suite to write up invoices and send them to customers. Additionally, I employ desktop publishing and graphics software to create documents and photos to promote and market my business. Web based applications to send out my e-mail newsletter and to send and receive payments. Don't forget the web site that you can visit 24/7 without an appointment. Using the graphic software, I create digital copies of my patterns. I have also used it to create patterns that I sell. It has even been possible for me to sell my patterns online in an instant download format on www.patternmart.com. My patterns, as a result, have been sold all over the world. I have even used my printer to create my own fabrics. That is a neat trick when you need a special fabric.

Like it or not, technology surrounds us.

Hoppy Hare & Bear Hugs,

Jared

1technology. Dictionary.com. The American Heritage® Science Dictionary. Houghton Mifflin Company. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/technology (accessed: June 17, 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment